Sunday, May 31, 2009

Morels and Veal

Erika and Grace came to dinner on Saturday night, which was perfect timing, because I had found fresh morels at WF, and I knew Grace was the person to appreciate them. We enjoyed our first course on the porch. I grilled wild-caught shrimp and served them with microgreens from the farmers' market, a warm round of MA goat cheese, asparagus, and the morels, sauteed in butter with a little tarragon. Everything was very tasty, and enjoyed with our new favorite, the Jean-Marc LaFage. The morels were AWESOME.



After we moved indoors, the photo quality decreased, but the food was still pretty good. The potatoes, sliced and baked in a cast-iron skillet with butter, salt, and blue cheese, were not spectacular. I served "veal birdies, Tidewater-style," from How to Cook Meat. It's basically veal cutlets wrapped around prosciutto and crab meat. The pan sauce is made with capers and lemon. I think next time I would make more sauce, with some broth and/or wine. This definitely needed a little something else on the plate, but it was good. We drank Chartron La Fleur 2007 white Bordeaux.
I served my new favorite company dessert, chocolate souffle with vanilla bean creme anglaise. I took more care to even out the tops of the souffles this time, and they rose better, and the whole thing was perfect with a fresh strawberry.

No comments: