Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Mackeral and Shrimp


I tried another NY Times healthy recipe last Wednesday, asparagus frittata with smoked trout. I couldn't find smoked trout, so I subbed mackeral. I did not do a good job making a frittata, it was more like scrambled eggs, but I thought it was pretty good, served over rice (I love rice with eggs). I topped it with some garden greens, of course. What I chose not to remember/believe, though, was that Craig not only doesn't like mackeral, he doesn't like smoked fish. Oops. The bonus for me was eating his fish, and he said it wasn't too bad.


On Friday I was pretty sure Craig would get me back for the mackeral by serving hamburgers or something, but he's a better person than I. He grilled wild-caught shrimp and sea scallops, and made a scampi with cherry tomatoes. He used anchovy paste instead of the actual fishies, and wasn't sure of the amount. We agreed he probably could have used more safely. He served it with sauteed rabe over whole wheat penne, and it was a great Friday. We drank a 2008 Clos du Bois Sauvignon Blanc.

No comments: