Thursday, June 25, 2009

On Wisconsin!

I just returned from a few days in Wisconsin.  I had a great time and of course, ate and drank very well.  There is a new brewpub in Wausau, The Great Dane (offshoot of the Madison iteration), and they have probably the best ESB I've had ever.  It was so good I considered seeing if I could get the contents of a growler into little 3oz. bottles and into my carryon!
Both Mom and Dad cooked up some really good food.  These are the ginormous ribeyes that Mom and I got.  A lot of leftovers there!



I grilled them, only starting a small fire.  It seared them beautifully.  We split one, and topped it with some of my favorite mushroom red wine pan sauce.  We had beautiful lettuce from the farmers' market, and Mom roasted some amazing new potatoes.  Along with a pinot noir whose name and provenance escape me, this was great.












No one wanted me to lack for iron, so the next night Dad made ribs.  He used a dry rub and made some sauce to keep them moist during the long grilling time.  They were so good and tender!  We also had potato salad and baked beans from Zillman's Meat Market--the best baked beans in the world.  I enjoyed some Summit Pale Ale and New Glarus Spotted Cow with my meal.





I did eat one or two relatively healthy meals while I was there, and they were pretty tasty too.  This is a salad Mom made, all from the farmers' market.  Two kinds of lettuce, spring onion, asparagus, and those amazing little potatoes.

I had such a good time, and not just because I ate so well.  It was too bad Craig missed it, but I did bring him back some cheese!

1 comment:

Burger said...

Great stuff here. 1st time poster, but long time reader --- keep up the good work!